Friday, January 20, 2012

Database.com

I have started using database.com. Although the authentication (from Apex Data Loader) is a pain, I have to say I am quite impressed with how powerful the platform is. A couple of quick thoughts, and I will soon have more I hope, as I just started developing an application using it:

  • interesting to see how many of the features (value and display lists, row id references) are similar to (for example) Caché 's: basically nothing is ever new in computing it seems
  • its usability would be greatly increased I guess if it supported disconnected recordsets so that a client application can use it even without access to the cloud
This also proves that it does make sense in certain instance to maintain one's own platform/language/database stack.

More soon.